The Return of eLf ideas

ideas of an eLven being in Canada

Sunday, September 16, 2012

Psychedelic Angels Fall like Rain

(On The Psychedelic Furs and Love Spit Love)
by aLfie vera mella

“I'm watching the sun go down
I'm watching the sky fall down like rain
And I see my way
Nothing can save me now
No one hears you fall
And who cares anyway
Mary don't know me
Mary don't owe me time
And I could get lonely
Watching the world unwind

“This is the end
Fall on tears, all my friends...

“This is the end...”

The English New Wave band The Psychedelic Furs must be one of the best in the genre—the somber, raspy voice of Richard Butler alone is enough to command their music. To this day, the songs "The Ghost in You" (from the fourth album, Mirror Moves, 1984) and "Angels Don't Cry" (from Midnight to Midnight, 1987) can easily put me to nostalgic tears—so many bittersweet memories these songs carry for me. Other songs that are indispensable from the soundtrack of my life include "Pretty in Pink," "No Tears," "Love My Way," "Heaven," "Heartbreak Beat," "House," and "Until She Comes."

Not Yet the End
Even before the Furs disbanded in the 1990s, many New Wave fans had already lost touch of this wonderful band. Not me. In the mid-'90s, I was keeping track with the help of music magazines; so I learned, right away, that the band's leader, Butler, had formed a new band, Love Spit Love. Without even hearing any song from the debut album, I went to a record shop and bought a copy of the album, Love Spit Love (1994). My instant favorite was "Am I Wrong?", which singlehandedly satisfied my longing for a new Furs song.


In 1997, Love Spit Love released its second and last album, Trysome Eatone. Again, without hearing any of the song in this new album, I bought a copy. I did not regret it. If the debut album's strength lies on the haunting ballad "Am I Wrong?", the final album's glory is with "Fall on Tears," which I regard as Love Spit Love's farewell song.

The Beginning, the End, the Beginning
The Psychedelic Furs was formed in England in 1977 by the brothers Richard and Tim Butler. They released their self-titled debut album in 1980. They eventually became one of the popular bands in the '80s New Wave era, especially when their single "Pretty in Pink" became the title and the theme song of a film released in 1986 which is now regarded as a classic. After releasing six more albums:

Talk Talk Talk (1981)
Forever Now (1982)
Mirror Moves (1984)
Midnight to Midnight (1987)
Book of Days (1989)
World Outside (1991)

The Psychedelic Furs disbanded in 1992. Richard Butler moved to New York, USA, where he formed his new band Love Spit Love with Richard Fortus (guitar), Frank Ferrer (drums), and his brother and Furs bandmate Tim Butler (bass).

Final Note
In 2000, Love Spit Love disbanded, giving way to the re-formation of The Psychedelic Furs. So far, the only new material from them is "Alive (For Once in My Lifetime)," from the compilation album Beautiful Chaos: Greatest Hits Live (2000). However, Richard Butler released a solo album in 2006, and this should suffice for now.

Actively touring again, The Psychedelic Furs is currently comprised by Richard Butler (vocals), Tim Butler (bass), Rich Good (guitar), Mars Williams (saxophone), Amanda Kramer (keyboards), and Paul Garisto (drums).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home