The Return of eLf ideas

ideas of an eLven being in Canada

Monday, November 03, 2008

To the Wave of Music #1: The Lotus Eaters - 'No Sense of Sin'

November 3, 2008
Monday

.
As I said in my last blog entry, I started last month my third column in the newspaper Filipino Journal. I called it "Sa Ugoy ng Musika," in which I will be writing about music genres, bands, other artists, album reviews, and personal stories expressing how music has affected me.

I also mentioned that, in 2006, I started eLf ideas Multiply site, primarily to share music with fellow music enthusiasts. Many Multiplyers post albums on their sites, and many of these people write also short reviews of these albums. What sets me apart from the lot of them, I think, is my penchant to share my personal story about a particular song or album or band. This way, I am able to share with fellow music enthusiasts how music has enhanced my views in general. Like, for instance, for me, life without music is life without memories.

In view of my music column and my album postings on Multiply, I thought of posting here on eLf ideas blogspot the music/album reviews I posted on Multiply.

I am giving this series of music postings the title "To the Wave of Music."

Here's my first entry for the series. I wrote this originally on January 2008 for my Multiply site .


German Girl




Love Still Flows




Can You Keep a Secret?




Out on Your Own




Put Your Touch on Love




Too Young




Set Me Apart




You Fill Me with Need




The First Picture of You




Alone of All Her Sex




When You Look at Boys




Start of the Search

Cover sleeve of the debut album of the English band The Lotus Eaters, released in 1984; the cover features vocalist Peter Coyle and guitarist Jeremy Kelly, the primary members of the group

The first picture below was my highschool graduation picture taken in 1988. Yes, even back in those days, I was already sporting a New Wave look reminiscent of Jeremy Kelly's famous The Lotus Eaters days hairstyle. The second picture was taken two years ago, in 2006, a hairstyle inspired by Jeremy Kelly of The Lotus Eaters and Robert Smith of The Cure. More than 20 years had passed since I discovered New Wave and donned the fashion and style, yet I remain practically the same New Wave enthusiast I used to be, mellowed a bit but very passionate all the same.


For my first music posting, no album is more befitting my music taste than this one: No Sense of Sin by The Lotus Eaters, the original version released in 1984 on Arista Records.

I'm sure that many New Wave aficionados already have a copy of this album in their collection, because I believe that one is not a legitimate New Waver if s/he has not at least some songs from this album.

In 1985, the year I first immersed myself in a blossoming Alternative Rock music of the '80s which was New Wave, "German Girl" was the first song that imprinted a lasting impression on my mind. In fact, a cassette tape of this album was the first ever album that I bought with my own money from my school allowance. Secondly, guitarist Jeremy Kelly was the first musical icon whose hairstyle I imitated (second was Robert Smith and Ian McCulloch, and next was Dave Gahan). Besides, many friends and acquaintances always told me that I have a facial resemblance with Jeremy Kelly.

Then, when The Lotus Eaters went to the Philippines in 2001 for the promotion of their long-awaited followup album, I got to meet Jem personally. Actually a few years before that gig Jem and I had already been corresponding with each other through e-mail, so when he first saw me at their promo gig at MusicOne in Glorietta, he immediately recognized me. And he himself told me that he thought I looked like him when he was in his teens. I dropped by again at their promo appearance at Q in Rockwell. Jem personally gave me a backstage access to the concert proper and invited me to the after-party. In fact, Jem's girlfriend was the one who took my friend and former bandmate Carol Pobre and me from the concert venue to the club where the after-party was held. Just having the chance to see Jem and Pete in person was a dream come true. So surreal!
Jeremy Kelly and I, in 2001 at the record store MusicOne at Glorietta Shopping Center in Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines; I with other Lotus Eaters fans who approached me to ask if they could have a picture taken with me

There! That's how special to my life The Lotus Eaters and their music. My highschool days and mid-'80s summer days were incomplete without them and their music, which I played almost every day.

To The Lotus Eaters, especially to Jem and Pete, thank you very much for your music.

My two most favorite songs from The Lotus Eaters are "Too Young" and "Start of the Search."

Discography:
No Sense of Sin (1984, Arista); re-released in 1998 by BMG Japan with 10 bonus tracks
silentspace (2001, Vinyl Japan)


Listen to the entire album on eLf ideas Multiply.

27 Comments:

  • At Friday, November 14, 2008 9:35:00 PM, Blogger McDoC said…

    hi ELF,
    I was searching for some info about The Wallflowers (UK)(Blushing Girl...) when one of the results lead me to your blog. I think it was last year when I also came across your band's (The Rain) cover of Seona Dancing's "More to Lose" at MySpace. I thought it was a cool version. So when I realized that you were the blog owner and read some of your entries, I'd have to say I'm impressed. I also love New Wave but mostly mainstream. Lotus Eaters is also one of my favorites and you are one very lucky guy having experienced being with them up close. Well, thanks for sharing and you have another fan reader. :)

     
  • At Friday, November 21, 2008 12:13:00 PM, Blogger eLf ideas said…

    McDoc,
    I'm glad that my Net postings have always been serving another purpose--that is, giving others additional information. Because my main purpose is simply to document my life, my journey, so that I may have the chance to glimpse at my life when I'm older--considering that the Internet is here to stay to the end of my days.

    But, yeah, New Wave and Post-Punk music have a big part in my having a very interesting life.

    Thank you for expressing your appreciation.

    You inspire me.

    aLf

     
  • At Friday, January 23, 2009 7:10:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi elf...

    Im just so glad to have found your site....I was just surfing the net for my fave band of all times and lo and behold....I came across your page with them on it---who else The Lotus Eaters...

    Thanks for featuring them!---I love this group so much and Ive been looking for their album of No Sense of Sin but couldnt find one...di bale, just to see them, Im very much happy...thank you for featuring them...are there anymore photos with them???

    Alice

     
  • At Thursday, April 12, 2018 5:47:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    That is the excellent one post here. Thank you and all the best.
    digital marketing services in delhi

     
  • At Saturday, September 01, 2018 12:16:00 PM, Blogger parthistha jose said…

    Hi, I am Pallavi thank you for this informative post.Fantastic article to go through,I would appreciate the writer's
    123movies

     
  • At Friday, September 07, 2018 11:24:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    http://dvisagie.blogspot.com/2012/09/half-life-2-for-osx-how-well-does-it-run.html
    http://dylanwadwine.blogspot.com/2016/10/gwobrau-gwin-cymreig-2016welsh-wine.html
    http://earn-money-now1.blogspot.com/2015/04/captcha-entry-work-make-money-now-with.html
    http://easytechbyte.blogspot.com/2016/10/how-to-fix-no-internet-access-problem.html
    http://ebaysellingcoach.blogspot.com/2010/07/independence-day-giveaway-statue-of.html
    http://ecomerge.blogspot.com/2013/05/simple-ways-to-reduce-water-pollution.html
    http://egypttrips.blogspot.com/2008/10/virgin-mary-tree.html
    http://ekayasolutions.blogspot.com/2010/07/jungle-walks-in-tambopata-nature.html
    http://ekettoz.blogspot.com/2010/09/mobile-vikings-and-iphone-cellular-data.html
    http://elf-ideas.blogspot.com/2008/11/to-wave-of-music-1-lotus-eaters-no.html

     
  • At Sunday, September 23, 2018 4:21:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Top Wellness Guru is a health-related website, with continuous use of this you will find important tips to make your health even better, we have created this site with the help of some other helpers, all those helpful and especially faithful. We are able to share the solution of the health problems with the help of them, which is faced by you on daily basis; this site is completely honestly created. And the articles shared by us are also written in the correct manner, no errors have been found in these articles from us, and every knowledge shared with you have been prepared our special health experts. http://topwellnessguru.com

     
  • At Sunday, October 28, 2018 8:28:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I love the post because i got everything which i wanted. Thanks again! Supplement Doctor suggest most advanced and latest Health & Wellness Products Daily Basis. Everyone Collects more info about their favorite Supplements. https://supplement-doctor.com/

     
  • At Monday, November 19, 2018 11:33:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Hello, I am Prithvika malhotra thank you for this informative post. That is a great job. Wish you more success.Thank you so much and for you all the best. Takes Down
    123movies

     
  • At Wednesday, February 13, 2019 12:28:00 AM, Anonymous Paltrox RX said…

    Paltrox RX : Stamina is the power to last for a decent amount of time when doing an exercise - often a protracted or particularily straining activity similar to a marathon, with out changing into too exhasted or drained. Take time to organize some nutritional foods for snacks. Perhaps I should take a category with you? one dodge bonus to Armor Class against assaults from that opponent. Within the United States, these mobile properties are regulated by the U.S.

    Read More : http://www.mysupplementsera.com/paltrox-rx-review/

     
  • At Wednesday, March 06, 2019 6:32:00 AM, Blogger Keto 180 Shark Tank said…

    Keto 180 Shark Tank defines personal characteristics of health merchandise.Keto 180 is a 100% pure weight loss product which Diminishing stored fats and calories from the bodies.

    http://keto180.over-blog.com/

    https://www.pinterest.com/keto180/

     
  • At Thursday, March 07, 2019 1:52:00 AM, Blogger Testo Drive 365 said…

    Trim Fit Keto magic? Are they safe? Can i simply eat all of the cheese and meat I want ? Will I die if i'm going into ketosis?These are only some common questions I listen with reference to questions that subject low carb diets. In this series of articles i will gift readers with medical facts and my realistic Visit for more info : - https://360nutra.org/trim-fit-keto/

     
  • At Friday, March 08, 2019 9:55:00 PM, Blogger Testo Drive 365 said…

    Tevida herbal male enhancements that are available these days.Of course, it's only natural to marvel how these male herbal enhancement products and capsules work, and what they must offer, and why such a lot of couples are swearing with the aid of them for higher intercourse each single time. You'll Visit for more Info :- https://360nutra.org/tevida/

     
  • At Sunday, March 10, 2019 1:07:00 AM, Blogger Testo Drive 365 said…

    InMotion Body Keto Flex the important food businesses, human beings are nonetheless confused approximately what form of weight-reduction plan to follow, keeping the window open for extra quacky solutions to pop up.A good way to help readers decide what makes a food regimen wholesome and

     
  • At Monday, March 11, 2019 2:12:00 AM, Blogger Testo Drive 365 said…

    AlkaTone Keto gimmick, is humans cannot live on them and that they don't learn how to eat for the lengthy-time period. It is no mystery that all the books should have something to 'capture' the reader. But, hidden amongst all of the hype are books that simply DO offer safe and effective answers to weight Visit for more info :- https://timesnutrition.com/alkatone-keto/

     
  • At Tuesday, March 12, 2019 2:16:00 AM, Blogger Testo Drive 365 said…

    InMotionBodyKetoFlex21 grams fiber for adults is well supplied for by means of this food regimen. So too is potassium, a nutrient that is marked for its potential to counter salts blood pressure raising qualities, reduce the threat of developing kidney stones and also decrease .For More Info : https://360nutra.org/inmotion-body-keto-flex/
    InMotion Body Keto Flex

     
  • At Wednesday, March 13, 2019 1:52:00 AM, Blogger Testo Drive 365 said…

    Keto Flex Oz.Has put his name on the remaining and present day pill out which have millions already chasing it.On the age of fifty six, i've already had a hysterectomy, had my thyroid removed, and then ultimate 12 months an Visit for more info :- https://360nutra.org/inmotion-body-keto-flex/

     
  • At Thursday, March 14, 2019 2:01:00 AM, Blogger Testo Drive 365 said…

    Tevida aspect outcomes so as almost as a good deal as viable, avoid shopping for those capsules. Don't even take the time to request totally free product samples from them as you're unsure if the pills they may be supplying have the perfect amount of Visit for more Info :- https://360nutra.org/tevida/

     
  • At Wednesday, March 27, 2019 7:10:00 AM, Blogger Testo Drive 365 said…

    Gaming pc absolutely programmed regarding my capabilities. Further, it gives me 16.8M shades of mild with the mechanical keys which have additionally custom setting. Consequently, I honestly like Razer Orbweaver Chroma

     
  • At Thursday, April 04, 2019 3:07:00 AM, Anonymous Mike Minor said…


    Absolute Keto the dying for one of those chocolate chip cookies, but decide in order to not take one, you might end up visiting your fridge and the ice cream tub or even so after you need home within the party to get to know your thirsting. Have the cookie, but only one, and then move around. It is a party after all, and excellent allow you to ultimately have amazing!
    https://absoluteketo.weebly.com/
    https://www.healthdiscreet.com/absolute-keto-reviews/

     
  • At Saturday, April 13, 2019 7:37:00 AM, Blogger Xenix System said…

    Gaming pc ultimately, there may be the intellectual message that is going with the gender, race, and frame kind. What do I imply with the aid of the intellectual message? A few games send an indirect message approximately that character

     
  • At Sunday, April 14, 2019 7:18:00 AM, Blogger GameX said…

    Rx 580 however on this game you'll in no way sense it's missing anything. The D-pad is used to move left and right, and with a press down on it you can duck, which also outcomes in happening pipes if they may be "open".The A button is

     
  • At Tuesday, April 16, 2019 7:51:00 AM, Blogger 580 said…

    based on assumptions about how the software will be used and/or about the goal hardware on which it will run. For example, a rendering engine that turned into designed to address intimate indoor environments in all likelihood may not be excellent at rendering enormous out of doors environments. laptops price in pakistan

     
  • At Thursday, April 18, 2019 8:16:00 AM, Blogger 580 said…

    choice of video games available which might be suitable for every age.A online game content material rating is a device is available in many nations and they're used to categorise video video games into suitability-associated age agencies with appreciate to its contents which, if accompanied, will help to laptops price in pakistan

     
  • At Friday, May 10, 2019 6:10:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…


    Keto Weight Loss Plus There are many effective Health & Wellness Product of our Website.That has Made By Natural and effective Ingredients there is noone side effects. you can boost your stamina weight loss by this product.Just Grab It in limited time offers for New customers.

    For Many other information Click Here: http://www.ketoweightloss-plus.com/

    http://www.ketoweightloss-plus.com/organa-keto/

     
  • At Tuesday, November 12, 2019 8:28:00 AM, Blogger Slim Quick Keto Shark Tank said…

    healthonway
    Benefits of SlimQuick Keto

    This wonderful unit expiration attach has numerous benefits on the body of the person. Slimquick Keto helps the body in umpteen ways without harming the body. Some consequential benefits are mentioned thrown in points :

     
  • At Friday, November 22, 2019 10:54:00 AM, Blogger God Of Supplement said…



    God Of Supplement any fake fixings, and just regular. Make a serving of 1.5 grams; else, you won’t get enough of God Of Supplement in http://godofsupplement.com/

     

Post a Comment

<< Home