The Return of eLf ideas

ideas of an eLven being in Canada

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

A well-nigh perfect work it is,

.
November 14, 2006
Tuesday


Almost every time I open my e-mail accounts, a message or two would surprise me--usually letters from fellow enthusiasts of New Wave music, admirers of my former band Half Life Half Death, or people I don't know who appreciate what I write on my blog site.

Today, I received an e-mail message from a very important person. Important, yes, simply because she's a daughter of the legendary Filipino literary couple Abelardo Subido and Trinidad Tarrosa--poet and poetess whose works I truly admire, as evidensed by the tribute article I wrote of them, posted on my blog site last year, on January 22, 2005.

Until now I couldn't believe that many people feel moved by the thoughts and ideas that I continually write here on my blog site. As I always say, I write more to express what I think or feel than to impress people. This is the reason, every time I receive messages of appreciation and admiration, I become more inspired and humble than proud.

...

Here's the e-mail message written by Maya Walker, a daughter of Abelardo Subido and Trinidad Tarrosa:

Tue, 14 Nov 2006


Very Dear Elf,

Maraming, maraming salamat.

I accidentally stumbled on your blog post today honoring Papa and Mommy. Yes, Abelardo Subido is Papa, and Trinidad Tarrosa is Mommy. Isn't it remarkable that Filipinas never cease to call their parents by their childhood terms of endearment even after many, many, many decades past?

Tears streamed down my face as I read your post and heard once again Papa & Mommy's words stirring within, two voices in harmony, always in harmony. I am blessed to have their DNA. Their words are all I need to enliven me. As a child Mommy recited her poems to me during our garden walks, and Papa read his to a dictaphone with the theme of "Bonanza" in the background--a particularly funny and vivid memory.

Maraming salamat uli. I have been feeling a great gravitational pull to glorify my parents and am coming to the inevitable...a novel dedicated to them. The book you're reading in the photo dated January 21, 2005 was published by my siblings back in Manila, Philippines. For the last 28 years I've been living in Berkeley/Oakland, CA, but just moved to Vallejo, a huge Pinoy town, 35 miles up north of the San Francisco Bay. Pancit, lumpia, and pan de sal are sold practically every quarter mile. If you ever find yourself in this part of town, tawag ka... let's commune over halo-halo.

I enclose a picture. I am a perfect combinatorial clone of Tarrosa-Subido.

Maya Walker

...
Maya,

Like your parents before you, you inspired my literary pen once again. I thank you for that, especially that these days when I'm so much preoccupied by my jobs here in Canada, I have so little time to spend on my literary pursuits. And messages like yours are enough to compel me to make love with my Muses even during the most exhausting nights.

Yes, I'll certainly flutter by your door in case my wings bring me to where you are.

aLfie

...

Lest I forget, I must thank my fianceé, Charlotte Belialba, without whom I would have not known the poetry of the Subido couple in the first place. Charlotte was the one who gifted me, in 2004, with the books Private Edition (Sonnets and Other Poems) by Trinidad Tarrosa Subido and Sonnets from a Gardener (And Other Poems) by Abelardo Subido. Hon, thanks again.

...

A quick reply from Maya:

Tue, 14 Nov 2006

aLf,

In warp speed I clicked on your entry today. Your lyricism feels kindred. You must be a long-lost brother. I am going to devour your past and future entries henceforth! Can I get an RSS feed from your blog? [My pleasure!]

My younger sister Mayita (google Kristina Subido) writes songs in Tagalog and has translated many of Mommy's poems. She's the driving force behind Milestone Publications. [Is this a sign? I've been looking for a publishing company who will happily publish my fantasy-fiction book Engkanto. Hint...hint.]

Like most divinely-inspired artists -- Picasso, Matisse, et al. -- Mommy cross-created in other media, like oils, acrylics, sumi-e. So you must be just as divinely-inspired with your poetry and music.

I wish you massive success in all that you do!

Love,
Maya

6 Comments:

  • At Tuesday, November 14, 2006 11:47:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hey hey hey! why am i not mentioned here? *tampo* i was your "link" to abelardo and trinidad! my latest "testi" on your friendster site is actually one of her (trinidad) poems even!

     
  • At Wednesday, November 15, 2006 12:17:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Anonymous...
    sina ka
    kapatid na nawala...
    ibig mo pala
    ang kanta ng mama
    halika
    saglit bumisita
    h’wag ka na
    mag-tampo
    malawak ang
    pag-ibig ko.

    Anonymous...
    (who are you)
    (sister lost)
    (you who love)
    (the matriarch's song)
    (come)
    (visit awhile)
    (pout no more)
    (my love)
    (encompasses all)

    -- mayawalker@gmail.com

     
  • At Wednesday, November 15, 2006 1:30:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    thanks, maya! charlotte here. i luv luv luv your parents works...thought my lyrical eLf would like 'em too, so i sent him copies 2 christmasses back.

    oh there he goes... naihabol na nya pala special mention sakin. hahaha!

    tampuhin,
    c.

    -------

    thanks, hon. *kisses*

     
  • At Wednesday, November 15, 2006 1:32:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    parents'

    c.

     
  • At Wednesday, November 15, 2006 1:43:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    christmases. hahaha. OC! OC!


    -----
    eto nga pala yung isang fave ko:


    lines to my love

    the sea bares its breast...
    heaven is unmoved.
    i bare my bosom for your lips,
    you stoop.
    i have more power than the sea;
    you less than sky.

    i crush a lily in my hand
    and feel triumphant.
    i fancy the lily is my form,
    the hand you,
    and still feel triumphant.

    (1936 TS)

     
  • At Wednesday, November 15, 2006 3:14:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hi maya,

    taga vallejo rin ako. ive been an elf ideas reader since this blog started.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home