The Return of eLf ideas

ideas of an eLven being in Canada

Monday, August 21, 2006

When the Piper Calls

.
August 21, 2006
Monday

Holiday in the Philippines, Benigno "Ninoy" Aquino's death anniversary. Not in Canada. Today's just another working day.

Yesterday, Sunday, August 20, we had dinner at Tita Cora's house. Some of my friends were there, including Norne who dropped me off at my friend Jason's house. I'd be joining them in picking up Siakol at Winnipeg International Airport.

Some more friends were there to pick up the band, who came from the Montreal, Quebec, leg of their Canadian Tour. We wanted to give Siakol a warm welcome, especially that they are visitors from the Philippines.

Siakol's flight arrived at around 10 p.m. Picture taking. The band comprised of Noel, Miniong, Wowie, and James with their manager Jason (not Jason my friend here).

We all proceeded to Roy's house, who prepared food for dinner.

The get-together ended at around 1 a.m. I slept over there. I had work at A&W in the morning.

...
Today, Monday, I was supposed to join Jason and Siakol in the radio guesting at CKJS, a Winnipeg-based Filipino radio station. Too tired, I decided not to go. Besides, I had work at A&W.

...
After my shift at A&W, around 6 p.m., I went to the nearby Salon de Manila (at the PCCM establishment). I had a haircut and, in a spur of mood, I had my hair dyed with streaks of red, in time for our concert on August 26, Saturday, as one of the front acts of Siakol.

...

While at the salon, the owner of The Filipino Journal, Mr. Rod Cantiveros, dropped by to drop off copies of the latest issue. The current article for my Engkanto series is there, "Some More Bantay-Katubigan Deities."

...
When I was working at Riverview last weekend, I met a sister of the publisher of another community newspaper based here in Winnipeg, The Philippine Times. When the person, named Tess, learned that I'm currently a columnist at The Filipino Journal, she invited me to give her brother a call, whom she said would most likely be interested in having me as a contributor for the newspaper. Another streak of luck! It's really helpful that I'm starting to build a connection here where I am, not for the purpose of asking favors but primarily for the purpose of increasing my chances of getting opportunities in whatever field or career.

Just a while ago, I called the brother, named Orlie Marcelino, the publisher of The Philippine Times. The result of that short phone conversation was promising. We'd be meeting on Wednesday to talk about my interest to write for the newspaper. I've also learned that, in the past, he illustrated for Adarna Books, a publisher of children's books based in the Philippines. When he learned, in turn, that I became an editor at Diwa Publishing, handling English Grammar & Literature and Science & Technology, and that I can also write about History, Music, and Culture, he became more interested. I just hope that our meeting on Wednesday will bear some fruits.

...
Tomorrow, Tuesday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. shift at A&W Restaurant; afterwards, I'll proceed to Roy's; we have a band practice. I might sleep over there again.

Eventhough my body is kind of tired because of my jobs, I'm in high spirits because of the little opportunities that continue to greet me as I trek my path here in Canada.

...
I have received many e-mails from friends from far away, extending their congratulations for my newfound jobs, for the forthcoming granting of my permanent resident status, and for haLf man haLf eLf's gig with Siakol on Saturday.

Thank you once again. As I always say, mere letters are potent enough to keep my passion for life burning.

...
Song for the day: "When the Piper Calls" by China Crisis

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home