The Return of eLf ideas

ideas of an eLven being in Canada

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

There and Back Again

.
July 25, 2006
Tuesday

Evening, friends Lhoy and Eugene came over. She helped me figure out the best route for my destination on Thursday: Tuxedo Villa on Corydon Avenue, the nursing institution where I'd be having my first whole-day orientation as a healthcare aide.

After calling the bus line, Lhoy with me had it all figured out:

To catch the first trip (5:35 a.m.) of Bus 33/Maples at the bus stop at Manila Street / Jefferson Avenue, I had to leave the house and start walking at around 5:00 a.m., because the walking distance is roughly 15 minutes.

I would alight Bus 33 at Portage Avenue / Vaughan, then walk a few meters away to reach the bus stop at Portage/Colony where I would board Bus 67/Charleswood. Then, I would alight at the bus stop near the corner of Tuxedo Avenue and Edgeland, near Southport. My landmark would be a Safeway store, from where Tuxedo Villa is just a stone's throw away. Thus, as soon as I see this Safeway, I could be rest assured that I'm at my destination.

My orientation is on Thursday, but I would try the route tomorrow; meaning, I would actually go to the place to get familiar with the bus transfers and the timing points. This way, I wouldn't feel wary of getting lost on Thursday and risk being late. I needed to be at the Station One of Tuxedo Villa 15 minutes before my call time of 7 a.m.

...
After dinner around 9 p.m. Tito Ren, Tita Lucy, and I went to the old house, on Selkirk, to get some remaining stuff and to launder Grandfather's clothes, which we would give to Salvation Army.

I also sorted out my clothes. Difficult as always, disposing old clothes made me a bit sad and nostalgic. Each piece that I put in the big black plastic bag stirred my mind. It was like disposing away for good many precious memories. Nonetheless, I'll try my best to keep in my heart such memories.

Finally, I put my remaining books in boxes and plastic bags. This made me realize once again that when it's time to buy my own house, there must really be a separate library. Yes, with all the books that I managed to add to my collection in my almost three years' stay here in Canada! And at the rate my itch to buy some more books, oh well.

...
We got back home, in Amber Trails, around 11 p.m. I thought of watching one DVD, but decided to start sleeping. "Discipline, aLfie! You have to wake up early in the morning."

Okay...zzz.

...
Today, July 26, Wednesday

Would you believe that I fulfilled my plan of trying the route which I will take tomorrow, for my orientation at Tuxedo Villa?

Yes, I went this morning, around 5 a.m. and got back home at 9 a.m. It was a cool joyride! At least, tomorrow I won't feel uneasy having to check out the time or every bus stop to see whether I'm on the right track or I'm already getting lost.

...
I've always trusted my body clock. I'm someone who doesn't need an alarm clock. Even back in the Philippines, I could wake up early in the morning when I needed to. The only problem was/is, I always wake up usually an hour ahead, get back to nap, and then wake up again at the scheduled time. So, to prevent this, I'm giving in. In case I get the healthcare-aide job on a regular basis, I will buy an alarm clock, so I can have a smooth, unbroken sleep.

...
4:52 a.m. - woke/got up; washed my hair/face, rinsed my mouth (I took a bath last night before sleeping); ate breakfast (boiled egg); dressed up; checked my stuff

5:10 - left the house, started walking to the bus stop at the corner of Manila Street and Jefferson Avenue; reached the stop at around 5:30; the sky was pale blue, the morning breeze was a bit cold

5:40 - Bus 33/Maples arrived; there were already a number of passengers, more than I expected

6:20 - alighted at the corner of Portage Avenue and Vaughan; walked towards the bus stop at the corner of Portage and Colony, and waited for my next bus

6:25 - Bus 67/Charleswood arrived; boarded

6:40 - reached the area of Tuxedo Avenue, Edgeland, and Corydon Avenue; saw the Safeway but didn't alight (at least, I know now where to go tomorrow; continued my joyride...the bus went past Assiniboine Park until its final stop at Roblin. I remained in the bus, on its return to Downtown Winnipeg

7:30 - Bus 67 is back at Portage; alighted and waited for Bus 33 at the same stop, Portage/Vaughan; bus arrived at 7:40

8:45 - alighted Bus 33, I'm back at the corner of Manila and Jefferson; walked back home; the sun is up

9:00 - I'm back home!

...
At least tomorrow, all I need to do is follow the same timing and routine, and I'd no longer worry about getting lost or missing stops.

2 Comments:

  • At Saturday, July 29, 2006 2:38:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i love you, hon! thanks for taking me to that party with you...your song is still playin' in my head...Huh huh huh hu-uh huh..I know this much is true..Huh huh huh hu-uh huh..I know this much is true....hihi...*kisses for my baby*

    thanks to norne!

    YLW,
    c.

     
  • At Wednesday, August 02, 2006 7:38:00 PM, Blogger eLf ideas said…

    hon,
    'buti nga at may card ako that night, so I got to call you right there, at thanks to Norne at nagamit ko cellphone n'ya.

    That song was dedicated to you, of course.

    Mwah!

    Always take care.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home