The Return of eLf ideas

ideas of an eLven being in Canada

Sunday, May 14, 2006

Solitariness silently seeths into my soul

.
May 14, 2006
Sunday

As always, I have so many stories to tell, so many rants to blurt out, so many melodies to sing about, so many plans and dreams to share with all of you; however, my routinary daily sojourn from the house to the hospital, to help my relatives look after Grandfather, whose condition as of the moment is stable yet hardly improving, prevents me from finding the energy to write something which would satiate the bard in me.

Whew! Sorry for the long sentence. Did you gasp for air? I did. But what's new with me these days, anyway?

...
In fairness, the past weeks were not entirely house-hospital routine. I also got to engage in some personal activities which serve as breathers for my lonely life as Grandfather's caregiver.

Two Fridays ago, I pitched in again as a drummer for Studio 69's gig at Howard Johnson Hotel on Ellice Avenue.

Last Friday, May 12, cousin Oliver and I watched The Strokes concert at Burton Cummings. Opening for them was The Most Serene Republic, one Indie Rock band which I discovered late last year and whose music caught my fancy. Their musicality is in the league of favorite bands like The Boo Radleys and The Spent Poets. After The Strokes gig, around 11:30 p.m., still early to retire, we proceeded to The Collective Bar on Osbourne Village, and there we watched two obscure bands, Sunset Rubdown and Frogs Eyes.
...
Mrs. Linda Cantiveros of The Filipino Journal e-mailed me, asking for the Word files of Engkanto and a new article I wrote, "Bilog Nga Ba ang Itlog?" to be published in the coming issues of the newspaper.
...
Best-friend Pet (de Jesus) invited me to join sma88 yahoogroup. SMA stands for St. Mary's Academy in Pasay City, Metro Manila, Philippines, where I spent elementary. I graduated there in '84, transferred in highschool to the brother school just across the street, Sta. Clara Parish School, from which I graduated in '88.

I'm glad I've joined the group because I got to reconnect with so many long-missed elementary and highschool classmates. Not only did I get to catch up with the lives of many old friends and acquaintances but also, I got to reestablish and make new friendships. What I wrote in a previous article about friendship continues to prove itself to be true:

"Friends are keys to many locked memories."

For, sharing memories and stories with one another, we continue to rediscover our old selves and dust the webbed corners of our memory banks--and these never fail to leave all of us smiling in sweet nostalgia.

...
I may always be surrounded by relatives and new friends, but...

Loneliness and solitariness silently seeth into my soul
Exhaustion and uncertainty continue to dig in my heart a hole

I am really yet to call this new, strange place a home

3 Comments:

  • At Monday, May 15, 2006 7:48:00 AM, Blogger Jennie said…

    Wow! Inggit naman ako! The Strokes!!! Their latest album "The First Impressions of Earth" is fantastic! The songs "Heart in a Cage" and "Juicebox" are definite hits! :) Did they play any of their songs from their first two albums?

     
  • At Monday, May 15, 2006 11:11:00 PM, Blogger eLf ideas said…

    Jennie,
    Yeah, they played "Juicebox" and "Heart in a Cage." They also played stuff from their first two albums. I loved their performance. The guitarworks of Valensi and Hammond complemented each other. Bassist Fraiture reminded me of Radiohead guitarist Jonny Greenwood. Casablancas's stage presence cunningly reminded me of Oasis's Liam Gallagher. Interestingly, Moretti didn't catch much of my fancy. Hihihi. (Sorry, Miss Drew Barrymore). Overall, The Strokes gig was a blast. There was also this song in which only Casablanca and Valensi took stage, with Valensi playing a harpsichord.

     
  • At Monday, May 15, 2006 11:19:00 PM, Blogger eLf ideas said…

    Gege,
    Getting reacquainted with each other is truly heartwarming. Imagine, the last time we ever had a conversation happened in 1984! Two decades and two years! Can you believe that? Hahaha.
    I also thank all the members of the group. Feasting on nostalgia amongst one another is really euphoric. You're right, being able to connect with kindred spirits washes away the solitariness. Blogging about it? Oh, no! This is just the beginning. I have so many anecdotes about characters from our batch that I'd really like to write about. ' just that, you know, I seldom have the chance to make love with my muses these days.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home