The Return of eLf ideas

ideas of an eLven being in Canada

Sunday, February 26, 2006

Little blessings, accomplishments, and disappointment of the week

.

1. I took Examination Three of my homestudy; just like the previous two, I got a perfect score.

2. I finally got my copy of The Filipino Journal which features my article "I Miss You." It occupies almost one whole page of the newspaper and includes a photograph of me with a short biography.

3. I received a package from my Charlotte: shirts, polo, and letters.

4. I finished reading two books, The Hundred Secret Senses by Amy Tan and Invisible Darkness (The Horrifying Case of Paul Bernardo and Karla Homolka) by Stephen Williams.

5. I watched on DVD the following films: Before Sunrise (1995) and Before Sunset (2004) (starring Julie Delpy and Ethan Hawke) and Angela's Ashes (1999). I fell in love with the soundtrack of Before Sunset, particularly "A Waltz for a Night," which was composed and performed by Julie Delphy herself. I already have a copy of it. Thanks to Limewire.

"I don't care what they say / I know what you meant for me that day / I just wanted another try / I just wanted another night / Even if it doesn't seem quite right / You meant for me much more / Than anyone I've met before"

6. I gave myself a haircut.

7. At last, I picked among my book collection The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger as the next book to read. I'm on Chapter Two.

8. I finished writing a few minutes ago a new article for The Filipino Journal, entitled "Marunong Ka Bang Mag-Filipino?", in which I differentiated Tagalog and Filipino and emphasized the fact that no language is pure—not even English.

"English spelling is hybrid—the product of Anglo-Saxon, French and classical traditions, with many outside influences.”—Steven Roger Fischer, A History of Writing (2004, Reaktion Books Ltd.)

9. This afternoon, I watched The Last Samurai (Tom Cruise) for the fourth time.

10. I received from SnooG a copy of Modern English's Everything Is Mad (1996). I already heard this album years ago, but now a new sense of appreciation for this particular album of Modern English seems ripe. Yes, they didn't stop after Stop Start of 1986.

11. I checked in my CPU at Computer Boulevard last Tuesday (February 21). I decided to have them replace the motherboard because, according to one of the technical staff there, some of the capacitors were busted. I also bought an additional 80 Gigabyte hard disk drive. The installation fee was C$45. They promised that I could pick up the machine on the ensuing Friday. As of this afternoon, it's not yet available! So, no one can ever tell to my face that PROCRASTINATION and POOR SERVICE like this happen only in the Philippines. Such bad habits and human follies are universal after all. Even in Canada where I am, Time is not regarded as golden by many people—regardless of race. In the end, what matters really is self-discipline. I may be an eLf, but I'm never a saint. I'm guilty of such follies once in a while, but I try to improve myself especially in the area of time management.

But still! I want my CPU now!

8 Comments:

  • At Thursday, March 02, 2006 2:22:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    "Little blessings, accomplishments, and disappointment of the week"...
    ..check your e-mail..modern english.

     
  • At Thursday, March 02, 2006 2:36:00 AM, Blogger leila_bondoc said…

    "The Catcher in the Rye" was the first contemporary literature I have read. I almost think of it as a "classic" because I like it so much. do i make sense?

    Anyway, I soooo hate procrastination... but i continue to believe there is hope for procrastinators. again, do i make sense?

    See, my friend, i am close to believing i am apoplectic...
    after learning that Dan Brown is now in court for his most famous works,
    after learning that there are going to be more restructuring for some of the biggest companies in the world (like GM and Ford and ABB),
    after... nevermind.

    Leila

     
  • At Thursday, March 02, 2006 2:44:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Relax lang makukuha mo din ang CPU mo... :)

     
  • At Thursday, March 02, 2006 8:28:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Alfie,

    I can't wait till you get your CPU and I can't wait for your other posts....in the meantime...life is....life...for lack of better words to say....hope you got my reply to the email you responded in myspace.....di ba? The challenge there is something else to reckon with? hehehe....

    skyray is love,
    giselle
    www.myspace.com/onthewingsofskyray

     
  • At Thursday, March 02, 2006 6:54:00 PM, Blogger eLf ideas said…

    SnooG,
    Thank you for the Modern English album you sent me. I'm listening to it now in repeat mode. What about 'Stop Start,' do you have it?

     
  • At Thursday, March 02, 2006 6:59:00 PM, Blogger eLf ideas said…

    Lei,
    I, too, am guilty of procrastination once in a while...or, is it "once in every while"? Hehehe.

    Who's making sense, anyway, in this virtually senseless world today? Hahaha! Am I becoming apopleptic, too?

    Oh, well, let them burn all the books they hate! And let their future great-great-grandchildren curse them for ever doing that.

    You know what I want them to burn instead? Oh well, never mind...hahaha!

     
  • At Thursday, March 02, 2006 7:00:00 PM, Blogger eLf ideas said…

    Penoi,
    At least, I could still keep my cool every time I called the computer shop to follow up. And, at last, my CPU is ready for pickup later.

     
  • At Thursday, March 02, 2006 7:03:00 PM, Blogger eLf ideas said…

    G.,
    Life--oh, a hundred adjectives and attributive nouns to describe it with....

    As they always say...move on and plan anew...but never stop dreaming and wishing.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home