The Return of eLf ideas

ideas of an eLven being in Canada

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

"I Miss You" sa 'The Filipino Journal'

.
January 30, 2006
Monday

After lunch, I finally returned the call of Mrs. Rosalinda Cantiveros, the publisher / chief editor of The Filipino Journal, the pioneering and leading Filipino community newspaper in Manitoba. I was flattered when she said that she read all the sample works that I submitted to her, and that she particularly liked the article "I Miss You," which she said was very apt for the forthcoming Valentine's issue of the newspaper.

All I needed to do was condense the article to fit a one-pager space in the newspaper—this I accomplished in about an hour after our phone conversation. Mrs. Cantiveros also liked my poetry and articles which tackle Filipino Culture. I told her that my primary intention in writing such, is to correct the many misconceptions of Filipinos living in Canada about the Philippines and its evolving state and culture.

Wish me luck, that I may eventually become a regular contributor to The Filipino Journal. This will certainly open for me doors of great opportunities.

Here's the particular article I said Mrs. Cantiveros took fancy for. The version that may appear in the newspaper will be shorter and more straightforward.

I Miss You
by aLfie vera mella

Ano nga ba ang "I miss you" sa Filipino?

Maraming beses na ring naitanong sa akin ang mahiwaga't mapanubok na katanungang iyan. Ultimo mga bagong kakilala ko na, dito na tumanda sa Canada ay para bang sinusubukan ang wikang Filipino sa tuwina itatanong nila 'yan sa akin. May badya-ng-tagumpay nilang sasabihing "wala" nga raw katumbas sa wikang Filipino ang salitang miss sa pangungusap na "I miss you."

Siyempre, hindi ako makapayag nang basta-basta; subalit anumang pilit ko sa aking isipang mabigyan ng kahulugan sa Filipino ang "I miss you," hindi ko magawa. Magsasabi ako ng mga pangungusap na, bagama't hawig ang ibig sabihin, kung iistimahin kong maige ay sablay pa rin....

continue reading...

3 Comments:

  • At Friday, February 03, 2006 11:57:00 AM, Blogger eLf ideas said…

    Vayie,
    Of course, my pleasure!

     
  • At Sunday, February 05, 2006 12:27:00 AM, Blogger leila_bondoc said…

    Funny as ('cause?) I am currently writing a worthwhile albeit short account of my experience in the vast art that is "language."

    I will make sure to put a link there to this particular article of yours. :-)

    Missed you friend, eLf. I hope all's well.

     
  • At Sunday, February 05, 2006 1:06:00 PM, Blogger eLf ideas said…

    Lei,
    Thanks for using my article as a reference.

    I'm back in Manitoba, and everything's relatively well, despite the colder Winter here (in comparison with Ontario's).

    Although, on February 11, I'd be performing (backed up by my friend musicians) at a Valentine's concert organized by a Filipino community here. This is the reason my perspective is brighter these days, add to this the possible exposure in the local newspaper as a contributor.

    And most of all, I can now say that I'll be coming home next year. I must! Hahaha.

    How's your teaching? It must be great.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home