The Return of eLf ideas

ideas of an eLven being in Canada

Thursday, October 20, 2005

My Favorite "New Wave" Albums—Old and New

.
Since the past few days, my musical mood has returned home. I've been listening heavily again to my most favorite genre of music. More so, I listen to select bands on a per-album basis.

I attribute this return to my "default genre" to the recent upsurgence of some of my all-time favorite bands like Depeche Mode and Echo & the Bunnymen. Furthermore, I also noticed that influential Alternative-music magazines, like Uncut and NME, have been revisiting Britpop—the torchbearer of New Wave music in the '90s. Significantly also, contemporary bands which carry a "New Wave" sound are the current holders of the reins of Rock music—bands like Bloc Party, Death Cab for Cutie, Franz Ferdinand, Interpol, and The Killers.

Here are the albums to which I'm currently listening:

Care - Diamonds and Emeralds (1997)
1. Diamonds and Emeralds
2. Evening in the Ray
3. Chandeliers
4. Flaming Sword
5. Cymophane
6. Love Crowns and Crucifies
7. Temper Temper
8. White Cloud
9. Caretaking
10. My Boyish Days
11. Sad Day for England
12. Soldiers and Sailors
13. Whatever Possessed You
14. Such Is Life
15. What Kind of World
16. Nature Prayed Upon
17. Flaming Sword [12'' version]
18. Misericorde
19. Besides 1 and 2

The Wild Swans - Bringing Home the Ashes (1988)
1. Young Manhood
2. Bible Dreams
3. Bitterness
4. Archangels
5. Northern England
6. Whirlpool Heart
7. Bringing Home the Ashes
8. Mythical Beast
9. Now and Forever
10. Worst Year of My Life

The Wild Swans - Space Flower (1990)
1. Melting Blue Delicious
2. Butterfly Girl
3. Tangerine Temple
4. Immaculate
5. Space Flower
6. Chocolate Bubblegum
7. I'm a Lighthouse
8. Magic Hotel
9. Vanilla Melange
10. Sea of Tranquility


The Lotus Eaters - No Sense of Sin (1984)
1. German Girl
2. Love Still Flows
3. Can You Keep a Secret?
4. Out on Your Own
5. Put Your Touch on Love
6. Set Me Apart
7. You Fill Me with Need
8. The First Picture of You
9. Alone of All Her Sex
10. It Hurts
11. You Dont Need Someone New
12. Two Virgins Tender
13. My Happy Dream
14. The Evidence
15. Endless
16. Soul in Sparks
17. Church at Llanbadrig
18. The Lotus Eaters
19. Out On Your Own [12'' version]

The Lotus Eaters - silentspace (2001)
1. Bodywave
2. Feel It
3. Stay Free
4. Can Your Kisses Fly?
5. Lost in Flow
6. Sara
7. Face of the Century
8. Minimal Emotion
9. Stereovision
10. Come Together
11. State of Mind

a-ha - Hunting High and Low (1985)
1. Take on Me
2. Train of Thought
3. Hunting High and Low
4. The Blue Sky
5. Living a Boy's Adventure Tale
6. The Sun Always Shines on T.V.
7. And You Tell Me
8. Love Is Reason
9. I Dream Myself Alive
10. Here I Stand and Face the Rain

Ned's Atomic Dustbin - God Fodder (1991)
1. Kill Your Television
2. Less than Useful
3. Selfish
4. Grey Cell Green
5. Cut Up
6. Throwing Things
7. Capital Letters
8. Happy
9. Your Complex
10. Nothing Like
11. Until You Find Out
12. You
13. What Gives My Son?


Ned's Atomic Dustbin - Are You Normal? (1992)
1. Suave and Suffocated
2. Walking through Syrup
3. Legoland
4. Swallowing Air
5. Who Goes First?
6. Tantrum
7. Not Sleeping Around
8. You Don't Want to Do That
9. A Leg End in His Own Boots
10. Two and Two Made Five
11. Fracture
12. Spring
13. Intact

The Killers - Hot Fuss (2004)
1. Jenny Was a Friend of Mine
2. Mr. Brightside
3. Smile like You Mean It
4. Somebody Told Me
5. All These Things that I've Done
6. Andy, You're a Star
7. On Top
8. Change Your Mind
9. Believe Me, Natalie
10. Midnight Show
11. Everything Will Be Alright

Echo & the Bunnymen - Siberia (2005)
1. Stormy Weather
2. All Because of You Days
3. Parthenon Drive
4. In the Margins
5. Of a Life
6. Make Us Blind
7. Everything Kills You
8. Siberia
9. Sideways Eight
10. Scissors in the Sand
11. What If We Are?

The Tears - Here Come The Tears (2005)
1. Refugees
2. Autograph
3. Co-Star
4. Imperfection
5. Ghost of You
6. Two Creatures
7. Lovers
8. Fallen Idol
9. Brave New Century
10. Beautiful Pain
11. Asylum
12. Apollo 13
13. Love as Strong as Death

Depeche Mode - Playing with the Angels (2005)
1. A Pain that I’m Used To
2. John the Revelator
3. Suffer Well
4. The Sinner in Me
5. Precious
6. Macrovision
7. I Want It All
8. Nothing’s Impossible
9. Introspectre
10. Damaged People
11. Lilian
12. The Darkest Star

Nightmare of You - Nightmare of You (2005)
1. The Days Go By Oh So Slow
2. Dear Scene, I Wish I Were Deaf
3. Thumbelina
4. My Name Is Trouble
5. Why Am I Always Right?
6. I Want to Be Buried in Your Backyard
7. Ode to Serotonin
8. Marry Me
9. In the Bathroom Is Where I Want You
10. The Studded Cinctures
11. Heaven Runs on Oil

4 Comments:

  • At Saturday, October 22, 2005 12:50:00 PM, Blogger Danielle said…

    Ooo, Depeche Mode! My favorite group ever. What do you think of their new CD? I absolutely love it. :)

    So, did you ever do a post on "100 Things About Me"? If so, please send me a link to it. If you haven't done a post on that yet, you should! ;)

    Take care, little elf..

     
  • At Monday, October 24, 2005 11:40:00 PM, Blogger eLf ideas said…

    Dani,
    I've long began the "100 Things...." I'm nearly finished. I'll post it as soon as I'm done.

    I'll reprise this entry to include my short review for each album.

    In a nutshell:
    I regard Depeche Mode's latest album as a return to form. For my taste, the songs are much better than those of the last two albums, 'Ultra' and 'Exciter.'

    'Playing with the Angels' is in the league of 'Violator.'

    Admittedly, I'm more in love with the early albums...more melodic and better produced. But, since I'm now a completist, I welcome any DM offering.

    "Precious" reminds me of "Enjoy the Silence." "Damaged People" has a bit of "A Question of Lust."

    I'm pulling forward my bonnet for luck...that my wish comes true...May Alan Wilder finally returns.

    abchp

     
  • At Thursday, October 27, 2005 4:04:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi,

    Have have you heard these bands?

    Sam Prekop, The Album Leaf, The Beta Band, The Futureheads, Bell X1, AC Newman, Alaska Holloween, Aqueduct, Arthur Yoria, Athlete, Brendan Benson, Castle Project, Matt Pond, Clinic, Dirty Lives, Eagles of Death Metal, EfterKlang, Elefant, Elliot Smith, Feist, Flunk, Frausdots, Gomez, Imogen Heap, Joseph Arthur, Kasabian, Lali Puna, Loius XIV, Mascott, Pet, Phoenix, Pinback, Rilov Kelly, Soledad Brothers, Spoon, Sufjan Stevens, The Black Keys, The Faith, The New Year, The Perishers, The Pixies, The Reindeer Section, The Thrills, The Walkmen, Viva Voice, Zero 7, Jeff Buckley, The Willowz, Tricky, Iron & Wine, Higherwater Rising, Youth Group, Nada Surf, Aqualang....

    Can these be classified as New Wave? songs are great.... you can download some of MP3's at www.ocfans.org .... enjoy!!!

    zack

     
  • At Saturday, October 29, 2005 12:54:00 AM, Blogger eLf ideas said…

    Zach,
    Yep, most of the bands you listed I already heard, many of which I would personally classify as "New Wave" for the chief reason they remind me of my favorite '80s New Wave bands.

    However, regardless of the specificity of genres, all these bands are worth adding to my MP3 collection.

    Thanks for sharing that MP3 Web site.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home