The Return of eLf ideas

ideas of an eLven being in Canada

Thursday, July 28, 2005

Welcome to My Adventures in June (Part Two)

.
June 9, 2005, Thursday

Once upon an afternoon at Garden City Shopping Centre...


In Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, only two shopping malls are worth checking out: Garden City Shopping Centre, on McPhillips Street, and Polo Park Shopping Centre, on Portage Avenue. And, you might be surprised to learn that these two malls combined still pale in comparison with the impressive malls found in my homeland, Metro Manila, Philippines, specifically Ayala Center in Makati City or even SM Megamall in Mandaluyong City.

I've long been thinking about this. I mean, I never expected that there are indeed parts of Canada where life is so laidback and lackluster. Only when I had the chance finally to live in Canada did I realize that every nation, of course, has its own share of gorgeous sights as well as not-so-impressive places. (But as I always say, it's the people, not the sights, that make a somewhere a good place in which to live.)

More so, everything really depends after all with the evolved culture of the people living in a particular society; add to that, the climate factor as well as the economic situation.

For instance, since that the Philippines is a tropical country, hot and dry days inevitably dominate the seasons. And, this has become a major reason malls are a blast in the metro. Add to that, the usually heavy traffic, which, to put it in my native tongue, is "Sobrang trapik na wala nang pinipiling oras! Sobrang init sa buong maghapon! Makatambay na nga lang sa mall." Now, considering these realities, can anyone blame why many people in the Philippines frequent the malls anytime of the day? Oh, well, a great number of other factors are involved, and I don't intend to engage anyone into a debate. I'm just making a point, trying to justify why shopping centers in this part of Canada where I am are not fanciful and justifying the reason malls in my country are always a seeming utopia.

Lest I continue to bombard you with my usual contemplative assessment of everything, let me just share with you some pictures which document my simple adventures in June.

%%%
Founded in 1913, Laura Secord is a famous chocolate, icecream, and candy shop in Canada. This particular branch is located at Garden City Centre, which is only about fifteen-minute-drive away from where I stay. We go there at least once a week.




I am not much of an icecream person, but I enjoy a cone or a cup once in a while; so every time we are at Garden City Centre and I'm in the mood for icecream, Grandfather and I go to Laura Secord.

Grandfather's favorite icecream flavor is chocolate. I also remember, my mom's favorite flavors include chocolate, mango, and ube (purple yam). I remember asking my mother a long time ago as to why she didn't like the new fancy flavors. She said that, perhaps because her taste was already accustomed to these classic flavors eversince she was young that she no longer fancies the new ones. Although, she tries some of the new ones once in a while.

Grandfather's reason is not different. When I asked him, "Pa, bakit laging chocolate ang gusto n'yong flavor ng icecream?"; he'd reply: "Yan na kasi ang nakasanayan kong kainin e." And, thoughts like this always leave me in contemplation. Perhaps, the saying "You cannot teach old dogs new tricks" is true after all. But, of course, it depends; but what I'm saying is that it makes sense. So every time I have the chance, I tell Papa that it's always nice to try something new, as long as it's not harmful or dangerous. Anyway, this also goes along with his favorite motto.

Yeah, after spending almost two years straight with Grandfather, I already know his motto in life. He never fails to utter it every time our conversation warrants it. "Ako, kung ano ang gusto ko e lagi kong ginagawa; basta wala akong napeperwisyo... [I, whatever I want to do I simply do it, as long as it doesn't bother anyone]." Reasonable, isn't it? This motto of my grandfather surprised me because I somehow share the same sentiment. May pinagmanahan pala ako, in terms of having the penchant to defy the norms.

I am the type of person who will always try something new, as long as it doesn't pose harm on myself, other beings, or the environment. When I was a child, I didn't like ampalaya (bitter gourd) or any bitter-tasting vegetable for that matter; but as I grew up, I learned to adjust my taste...I was able to condition myself to be as adventurous as I possibly could...and I believe I was able to apply this not only to my taste in food, books, or music but also to my way of viewing the world at large...I believe that this eclecticism has transformed me into a universally minded individual--someone who always try to understand first before passing judgment, someone who always try first before saying I don't like it.

When it comes to icecream, bright colors always fascinate me; the reason I love flavors like raspberry rumble, bubblegum carnival, blueberry delight, and banana bonanza.

That's it for now. So every time you're at a mall enjoying a cone or cup of your favorite icecream, kindly think of me, the eLf who loves brightly colored icecream flavors.

THE END

13 Comments:

  • At Thursday, July 28, 2005 8:40:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    naks,.. pa ice cream ice cream na lang sya :) joke !

    add na rin kita,.. salamat!!

    mabuhay!! xb 102~~

     
  • At Friday, July 29, 2005 1:39:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Gusto mo? Hahaha! Minsan lang naman, kapag sobrang init dito.

    Thanks, too, for adding me into your links as well.

    Keep the spirit of New Wave music alive!

    eLf

     
  • At Friday, July 29, 2005 9:07:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    oo bah,.try ko nga yang bubble gum flavor . joke!


    special metion kita sa site ko :)

    sige,. have a nice weekend. and thanks for adding din sa friendster

     
  • At Sunday, July 31, 2005 1:25:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    oh yes,. housemartin nga pala..

    stupid kow!

    the smith is this charming man!!

    haha!!

    ako din download din eh ,. marami ding mga rare sa lime wire, hehe!!

    buti nag se share yung iba,!

    yung mga new wave megamix

    see yah around!!

     
  • At Sunday, July 31, 2005 1:28:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i heard about that band half life half death,. member ka pala dun
    di ba underground yun..

    asan na sila?

     
  • At Monday, August 01, 2005 7:27:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    BABYYY!!thanks for the purple tulips you sent me!!!love love love 'em!

    ~how sweet it is to be loved by YOU~~~

    pls tell nina i said thank you. love you, my bebe eLf...*hugs*

    -c.

     
  • At Monday, August 01, 2005 7:43:00 AM, Blogger maria said…

    XP..ever been to toronto? u should go visit..u'll definitely like it here :)..and i heard manitoba is pretty boring..XP..i havent been there =P

     
  • At Monday, August 01, 2005 5:19:00 PM, Blogger eLf ideas said…

    Dear Rose,
    Yeah, I was the vocalist and the main founder of Half Life Half Death. We had to disband in 2003, when I left the Philippines.

    Some of my bandmates are busy now with their professional lives, though some of them still play using the name Dream Kitchen (a name taken from a song by the New Wave band Frazier Chorus). In fact, they are included in the forthcoming New Wave compilation '8-Track," along with Sheila & the Insects and fellow New Wave bands.

    I'm flattered that you've heard of my band. We're the ones who made an Alternative version of Sharon Cuneta's "High School (Life)."

     
  • At Monday, August 01, 2005 5:25:00 PM, Blogger eLf ideas said…

    Dear Maria,
    Yup, ' been hearing lots of cool things about Ontario, particularly Toronto. In fact, I have relatives there. The only problem is, I'm yet to establish my career here before I can afford traveling. But, of course, I'll visit the Niagara as soon as I can.

    Having lived in British Columbia for a year and a half, I would say that Manitoba pales in energy and glitters; it's just that I'm more at-home with my relatives here in Manitoba. But, as soon as I have the chance to become stable, I'll certainly opt to settle in Vancouver.

    I'm glad you're having so much fun and blast where you are. Your blog shows it.

    Keep it up!

     
  • At Monday, August 01, 2005 5:39:00 PM, Blogger eLf ideas said…

    Hon,
    Tulips lang ba yung hinatid nina Nina sa inyo? May kasamang windmill yan ah! Hahaha.

    Thanks, honey, for appreciating everything.

     
  • At Monday, August 01, 2005 8:00:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    yeah ive heard that highschool life,.
    hinahanap ko nga yun dati nung gamit ko pa eh winmx hehe!

    kaso walang source eh :(

    wala bang reunion album? concert?
    introvoys meron ata sa frisco,. meron silang bagong single ah .. desire,..

    kayo wala bang balak?

     
  • At Monday, August 08, 2005 11:40:00 PM, Blogger sharima said…

    was blog hopping and just have to comment on the ice cream post... yum yum.. buti pa dyan daming variety ... ice cream sure brings back memories of childhood.

     
  • At Wednesday, August 10, 2005 12:24:00 PM, Blogger eLf ideas said…

    Dear Sharima,
    Thanks for fluttering by. I, too, found your blog site worth reading. I'll link you with mine, if you don't mind.

    Meeting individuals especially from other cultures is always a blessing.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home